Scripture: Matthew 6:19-24
“Don’t collect for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But collect for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves don’t break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
“The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. So if the light within you is darkness — how deep is that darkness!
“No one can be a slave of two masters, since either he will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot be slaves of God and of money
What is Greed? (vv. 21)
- Greed is a love for possessions.
- Greed keeps our hearts from God.
- Generosity enables us to love God.
- Generosity cares not for earthly possessions.
- This means we should (1) not define ourselves by what we have, or how much, and (2) always give generously to others.
What does it mean to collect treasures on earth?
- It is to serve self, live for earthly possessions.
- There is nothing wrong with having stuff.
- We sin, though, when we cannot live without that stuff.
What does it mean to have treasure in heaven?
- It is to serve God, knowing that His rewards are eternal.
- We may lack on this earth and we should be okay with that.
- We will lack nothing in eternity with God.
Questions for class discussion:
- Greed causes us to look at ourselves more than anyone else, and to always seek possessions in life. How does greed hinder our relationship with God?
- Similarly, how does greed keep us from building good relationships with each other?
- What, other than possessions, makes people greedy?
- How can Christians best answer the problem of greed in western culture?
What do you do to build up treasure in Heaven? What do you think receiving treasure in Heaven will be like? Search the scriptures for answers (feel free to use Google), and think about, journal or blog about what you discover!