Scripture: 1 Corinthians 12:12-20 (HCSB)
For as the body is one and has many parts, and all the parts of that body, though many, are one body — so also is Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body — whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free — and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. So the body is not one part but many. If the foot should say, “Because I’m not a hand, I don’t belong to the body,” in spite of this it still belongs to the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I’m not an eye, I don’t belong to the body,” in spite of this it still belongs to the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But now God has placed each one of the parts in one body just as He wanted. And if they were all the same part, where would the body be? Now there are many parts, yet one body.
What does it mean that we are the body of Christ?
- There is only one body, with many parts.
- Each member of the body has a specific role.
- Not everyone can be a teacher and not everyone can be a music leader and not everyone can be a businessman or an athlete.
- Everyone does have a specific and unique role.
One source of division.
- There are people who try to fill roles that are not theirs to fill.
- What would happen if I tried to be the pastor of the church?
- What would happen if you tried to teach your classes at school or tried to coach your sports team?
- What is it like when parents are yelling from the sideline, telling you to do something that your coach has taught you not to do?
- When we try to fill roles that are not ours to fill within the body of Christ, we cause division and we cause the body to be practically crippled.
- We should not try to do something that God has obviously called someone else to do.
- We should not get jealous when God has given someone else an opportunity that He has not given us.
- We should not try and take on too much responsibility when asked. Sometimes it is okay to say, “no”
- We must be careful, though, not to use this as an excuse to by lazy.
Our role in the body depends on what God wants!
- “God has placed each one of the parts in one body just as He wanted.”
- God has given us talents and passions so that we might fulfill a certain role in the body.
- What role were you designed for?
- Fill out spiritual gifts survey