Scripture: Matthew 28:16-20 (HCSB)
The Great Commission
- What does it mean for us to “make disciples”?
- What is a disciple?
- Must you be a disciple before you can make disciples?
- When should you make disciples? (think of Paul, who immediately began preaching Christ)
The 11 disciples traveled to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had directed them. When they saw Him, they worshiped, but some doubted. Then Jesus came near and said to them, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
They worshiped, but some doubted…
- There were people who literally saw Jesus (some of the first disciples) and doubted.
- Does having a relationship with Jesus mean that we never doubt?
- No, because on this earth I am still imperfect in my knowledge and in my wisdom.
- It does mean that Christ is always faithful.
What does it mean that all authority was given to Jesus Christ?
- After volunteering as the sacrificial lamb, Jesus was raised from the dead as King and Judge (Rev. 17-18).
- He revealed authority before, as he forgave the sins of men and rebuked the Pharisees. In His resurrection, that authority was clarified.
- What is our response to Christ, who has all authority?
- Is He simply our best friend?
- Do we trust in Him, only to serve ourselves?
- What would this imply about our authority?
- Do we submit wholly to Christ, observing everything that He has commanded?
- Is this what it means to be a disciple?
- To learn and follow in Christ’s teachings?
- This means we become students of the Bible!
Considering what it means to be a disciple, what does it mean to make disciples?
- First of all, it means living like a disciple.
- Second, it means that we actually talk about Jesus (and what He wants from us).
- Third, it means that we offer the invitation for others to also become disciples of Jesus.
What does it mean to baptize others in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit?
- Is there any power in baptism in water?
- What we offer people is a relationship with the God of the universe, and when they begin a relationship they are completely immersed in the person of God. Baptism in water is a symbol of what people receive in Christ.
Christ will be with us to the very end of the age
- This is Christ’s word of comfort, especially for those who doubt.
- When the world rejects our service, rejects our moral standard and ultimately rejects our message about Christ, He is still with us and is still ever-faithful.
Questions for class discussion
- How can we encourage one another toward making disciples?
- How can you personally be more intentional about making disciples?
- Have you ever doubted the presence of Christ in your life? What do you think might have caused that doubt?
- How has Christ proven that He is always with you?