If you’d like to provide breakfast for the youth on Sunday Morning, please let me know.
If you have not ordered your GoYo t-shirts, do so now by clicking here or getting an order form from me.
What is Sin?
- Can you tell me what sin is in just three words?
- Is it something we do or think?
- Is it a disease?
- We are going to learn what sin is and why it separates us from God.
Genesis 3:1-7 (HCSB)
Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the wild animals that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You can’t eat from any tree in the garden’?”
The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit from the trees in the garden, But about the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden, God said, ‘You must not eat it or touch it, or you will die.’”
“No! You will not die,” the serpent said to the woman. “In fact, God knows that when you eat it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” Then the woman saw that the tree was good for food and delightful to look at, and that it was desirable for obtaining wisdom. So she took some of its fruit and ate it; she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. The eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made loincloths for themselves.
How did Adam and Eve disobey God?
- They ate fruit from a tree that God commanded them not to eat from.
- If this is all we knew, what could we say sin is?
- The simplest definition of sin is disobedience to God
- Why is it wrong for anyone to disobey God (Don’t just say, “Because He is God!”)
- If God is the creator of the universe, the right and wrong is measured according to His nature.
- God can only give commands according to His own nature.
- To disobey God is to act against His nature and, therefore, do wrong (or sin).
- Why is it important that Adam and Eve realized their nakedness and tried to make clothes for themselves?
- Their sin brought shame on them. They tried to cover that shame on their own. What was God’s response?
- After describing their punishments, God made better clothes out of animal skins for them and covered their shame (Gen. 3:21).
Do you think it’s possible for a person to live on this earth without sinning? Why or why not?
- Humankind’s job was to rule the earth.
- When Adam and Eve sinned, the whole earth was cursed because of that sin.
- This means that we are born into a cursed world.
- If we are born into a cursed world, then we are also cursed because of sin.
- This means that sin is more than just doing wrong. It’s a disease that infects all of humanity.
- Whether or not it’s possible for a person to live without sinning, we have all sinned because we live in a cursed world.
What does sin do to us?
- Sin brings death
- Sin separates us from God
- Sin leads us to broken relationships with other people
Questions for class discussion
- Do you usually think as a mistake or an imperfection as rebellion or disobedience toward God?
- What about impure thoughts?
- What about a hateful or wrongly jealous attitude?
- How has God chosen to deal with our rebellion?
- He does so by providing a way for us to be restored through Jesus Christ.
- Just as God acted toward Adam and Eve with mercy and compassion by covering their shame, so He has mercy and compassion for us by giving us an opportunity to return to Him.
- He gives us life when we deserve nothing but death.